Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dear Mommy...

I am a worrier. I find myself in a constant state of anxiety, needlessly planning the funerals of my loved ones when they don't return a call I was expecting or are a few minutes late. I am easily brought to tears just thinking about losing a family member. I wrote this in my head on my way to work one morning, from the prospective of a young girl who misses her mother. I am grateful for every moment I have spent with my mom and pray every day for many, many more!



Dear Mommy,
I'm starting school today!
I wish you weren't so far away.
What if nobody likes me there?
What if the teacher doesn't care?
Daddy misses you, Mommy, and so do I.
I get scared sometimes when I hear him cry.
But when we're together, he tries not to fuss...
Mommy, why can't you come back to us?

Dear Mom,
I became a woman today!
I wish you were here to help me that way.
I can't tell Dad, he wouldn't know what to do.
I really need to talk to you!
I like this boy in my third hour class,
And today he smiled when he saw me pass.
I'm so happy, Mom, and I think I'm in love!
Can you see me smiling from your cloud up above?

Dear Mom,
I'm graduating today.
I wish you were here and not far away.
I'm afraid of going out into the world.
Mommy, please help me, I'm just a small girl!

Dear Mother,
I got married today!
Daddy looked so handsome when he gave me away.
Our friends were all there, and I wore your white dress.
The cook dropped the cake, though, and oh! What a mess!
There was laughter and fun, Mom, and you should have been there...
But in some ways you were. I felt your smiling stare.

Dear Mom,
I received some important news today.
The doctor says there's a baby on the way.
I'm excited, Mom, but frightened, too.
I'm not sure I can do this without you.

Dear Mommy,
My new daughter died today.
I can't understand why God took her away.
"She'll be okay," the doctors all said,
But she never woke up when we put her to bed.
I know that she's gone and I can't bring her back,
And I'm trying to keep my life on its track.
I'd like to break down, and I've got reason to.
I just lost my child, and I never knew you!
I never got to hold your hand as she never will hold mine.
Mom, please say that you're taking care of her. Give me some kind of sign!

Dear Mother,
My only son took his bride today.
They looked so happy, driving away.
They're honeymooning in Europe somewhere;
Please try to watch out for them over there.

Dear Mommy,
They told me I'm dying today.
Now, with my first grandchild on his way.
The doctor said I'd be fine, but I guess he was wrong;
Two others have said that I haven't got long.
Oh Mommy, please help me, I'm so very scared!
I can't die yet, I'm not prepared!
There are so many things that I still need to do...
Business left that I never got to.
I just learned right now that time goes by so fast...
I didn't realize how many years have gone past.
Have I wasted my life? Or did I do okay?
Mommy, I wish you weren't so far away.

Hello there, Mom.
I know it's been quite a while.
You look wonderful, though; it's good to see you smile.
You won't believe me, Mom; I've been through so much.
But I tried very hard to keep you in touch.
Since we last spoke, I've been doing much better.
By the way, Mom, I wrote you this letter...

Dear Mommy...

1 comment: